Deputy General Counsel
Location: West Sacramento
Posted on: November 18, 2022
The California State Teachers' Retirement System is seeking to
fill its Deputy General Counsel position!
As Deputy General Counsel, you will provide strategic guidance,
consultation, and support to the executive team and Teachers'
Retirement Board on a comprehensive range of legal issues involved
in carrying out CalSTRS mission.
Responsibilities in this role include:
- Directing CalSTRS representation on critical, sensitive, and
controversial legal matters.
- Overseeing major program areas within the Office of the General
Counsel including Legal Services, Litigation Services, Investment
Counsel, and Pension Solution Project Counsel, as well as external
- Providing legal counsel, advice and expertise to the CEO,
Executive Staff, and to various committees of the Teachers'
Retirement Board (TRB) and advises the General Counsel on complex
and highly sensitive legal issues.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of the intricacies of CalSTRS plan
design, Teachers' Retirement Law, member benefit structure,
applicable tax code, and legal aspects of investments, asset
management, SEC regulations, and asset liability protections, to
provide expert consultation.
- Assisting the General Counsel in the development and
formulation of legal policy and the policies that formalize the
legal services and expectations of the Office of the General
Counsel and communicate professional standards of ethics and
- Conducting the legal review of enterprise policies, strategies,
and initiatives in support of CalSTRS Strategic Plan, annual
business plan, risk management, and fiduciary responsibility.
- Acting on behalf of the General Counsel in their absence and as
appropriate, maintains an ethical wall between the General Counsel
and system attorneys.
Relocation benefits may be available.
CalSTRS offers a competitive pay schedule and a work-life-balance
for all its employees. The State of California provides
comprehensive benefits packages determined by the employee's
bargaining unit and conditions of employment.
Some benefits include:
- Alternative work schedules
- Flexible work hours
- Remote work options
- Medical benefits, including health, dental and vision
- Paid holidays and a defined benefit retirement program
- More than four weeks of vacation/sick leave for leaders
- More than three weeks of vacation/sick leave for staff
- Health insurance in retirement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Loan forgiveness under the federal Public Service Loan
The job can be found here:
The final filing date to apply to this position is 12/15/2022.
Human Resources Contact:Jennifer Atwood(916)
Keywords: CalSTRS, West Sacramento , Deputy General Counsel, Legal , West Sacramento, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!