Intellectual Property Manager
Location: West Sacramento
Posted on: June 26, 2022
Company DescriptionTOMRA Food designs and manufactures
sensor-based sorting machines and integrated post-harvest solutions
for the food industry, using the world's most advanced grading,
sorting, peeling and analytical technology. The company's mission
is to enable its customers to improve returns, gain operational
efficiencies, and ensure a safe food supply via smart, useable
technologies.TOMRA Food is a member of the TOMRA Group founded in
1972 that began with the design, manufacture, and sale of reverse
vending machines (RVMs) for automated collection of used beverage
containers. Today TOMRA provides technology-led solutions that
enable the circular economy with advanced collection and sorting
systems that optimize resource recovery and minimize waste in the
food, recycling, and mining industries. This person will be
operating in the Business Area TOMRA Processed Food within TOMRA
Food.Primary Job Functions:The IP Portfolio Manager Food shall be
responsible for the day-to-day handling of the TOMRA IP portfolio
for TOMRA Food.
- Based in TOMRA Food's Sacramento offices, being the key IP
contact for Tomra Food at the R&D sites located in USA,
Belgium, Ireland, China and New Zealand.
- Internally working with TOMRA Food R&D/Engineering and
Product Management teams to capture innovation ideas, categorize,
review potential value and coordinate prior art searches.
- Monitoring and assisting the R&D group with their
respective new patent and design filings and prosecution and acting
as a liaison with the external IP advisors.
- Assisting the drafting and filing of IP applications.
- Assisting marketing teams with trade mark and associated IP
- Negotiating and advising on IP aspects of contracts, R&D
development agreements and licenses for TOMRA Food.
- Responsible for managing third party IP conflicts, IP
litigation and FTO analysis for TOMRA Food.
- Due diligence for M&A for new acquisitions.
- Managing external IP legal resources.
- Responsible for preparing cases for the IP Board meetings and
documenting decisions and actions.
- Contribute to the respective TOMRA Food IP budgets.
- Managing the TOMRA Food IP management software database, patent
search software and IP budget software; including inputting data,
creating reports and developing new processes, actions and
- Performing patent searching and patent landscape analysis and
monitoring TOMRA's competitor activities.Required Skills/Abilities:
- +10 years experience as an IP attorney, or an IP advisor in a
technology transfer office.
- Several years of professional high-tech experience ideally in
optics and digital innovation.
- Experience in IP and R&D environments, innovation idea
capture, new idea valuation and protection, patent searches and IP
- Fluent in English. Physical Requirements:
- Ability to sit at desk for long periods of time.
- Kneel, bend, and stand as necessary.
- Ability to lift 5-10 lbs.Work Environment:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and customer-centric
- Experience in optics technical area - process machinery,
digital and platform technology - Auto industry experience would be
- Would like experience in an IP Management Software.Education:
- Technical degree in Physics, Computer Science or Electronic
Engineering. Legally qualified as a US patent attorney qualified to
practice in patent matters before the USPTO.Travel:
- This position requires travel on occasion (around 20%).Driving:
- Ability to drive without restrictions.To ApplyIf this sounds
like you, we would love to hear from you!TOMRA is proud to be an
Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment
opportunities to all employees and applicants regardless of race,
color, religion, gender, gender identity, age, national origin,
disability, parental or pregnancy status, marriage and civil
partnership, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodations will be
made to meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities
Act and will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in
all aspects of the selection process. All your information will be
kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Keywords: TOMRA, West Sacramento , Intellectual Property Manager, Executive , West Sacramento, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!